me

me

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Life, and Genetics. What a concept!

As I sit here and watch my daughter dangle a toothbrush dangerously close to a big ol' box fan, I remind her sternly to not put ANYTHING in the fan. Ever. Then I think to myself, "I remember doing stuff like that as a kid, too.  She must get that sense of curiosity from me." Then, I recall a time in Mrs. Heffernan's second grade class, when I stapled my thumb, just because I wanted to know how it felt.  Of course, when I felt shooting pain coming from my appendage, I realized that this was completely stupid, and I played it off like it was an accident.  That's TOTALLY something Audrey would do.  I just think it's uncanny how genetics works like that.  She really, truly is a little piece of me.  It's simply an amazing concept in my mind.  I mean, I can understand the x's and y's, and whether she has blue or brown eyes.  I get that.  But to actually inherit little quirks and personality traits is just amazing.  It gets pretty specific too.  I mean, it goes right down to the fact that she likes to dress up as a princess, she's afraid of bees, and loves to perform in front of a crowd. That's exactly what I was like as a child.  Now, I know that some of these traits are probably learned, and not inherited.  However, I like to go ahead and think she inherited them.  So, just let me have my little reverie here.    


Life is such a truly mind boggling concept sometimes.  There are so many ups and downs, and ins and outs.  So many trials and tribulations. Seeing my child grow up in front of my eyes has been a true gift.  It also makes me appreciate life, and living in general.  When I was in my darkest of dark spots in my depression, my daughter was my reason to carry on.  She was my motivation.  I'm sure she couldn't understand that now, but when she is old enough to appreciate and fully understand it, I'm going to let her know how much she means to me.   Now that I'm in the light, and I can see life for what it really is, I can try to truly feel whole.  That is my largest goal in life I'd say: to feel whole.  But anyway, I suppose this is a bit off the topic of genetics, huh?   Eh, let's just say it was what sparked my idea for this short, but sweet entry.  


I guess it's back to wrangling the princess, whose lips bear a striking resemblance to her mommy's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment